Pages

Khaled Hosseini - Splendid Indeed!

I finished reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini sometime back I couldn’t imagine a more eye-opening, heartbreaking story of life in Afghanistan. As soon as I heard that his second book "A Thousand Splendid Suns" was out, I ran to the book store, anticipating another emotional roller-coaster as his previous novel and it was even better!  I found myself reading the books in every situation I could.

The way he narrates his stories, somewhere reverberates with your deeper inside. If you’ve ever read a Khaled Hosseini book, you will understand why I say this. Hosseini’s books tear your heart into a million pieces, stomp on them, and then stitch the pieces back together but your heart always remembers the stomping. In simpler terms, his books make you aware of the evil in the world, and the way it destructs innocence and pure goodness, and then they end and leave you to continue with your life with the knowledge of this evil.

While not being particularly knowledgable of the culture, religion or background of the books,  I have found myself enriched through their teachings. The stories have given me a window into Afghanistan culture where the country’s wounds have been patched up time and time again. The hardships of the few in the books are in fact the hardships of many in reality. I found myself teary-eyed and empathising with the characters, rooting for them in their triumphs and sorrowful in their losses.


I am looking forward to purchasing the next book in the series -  ‘And The Mountains Echoed.’  It's time to prepare myself for a similar reading experience.